London’s oldest Greek Restaurant
1936 The Elysée opened on Percy Street by George Varnava, after leaving his job as Maitre D’ at the Savoy Hotel. During the 1930s and 1940s, the restaurant became the ‘place to party’ attracting big screen stars, artists, writers and members of the British and Greek royal families.
In 1962 the restaurant was bought by George’s nephews, George, Michael and Ulysses Karageorgis.
The 1960s saw visits from His Royal Highness Prince Philip and the 1966 England world cup winning team to celebrate their victory amongst many other high profile guests such as The Beatles and Mohammed Ali.
In 2010, after a remarkable 48 years, the three brothers retired and handed the baton to three cousins, Giggs Karageorgis, Kyriacos Pattihis and Kerry Karageorgis.
Since its re-opening in 2010, the Elysée is proving it’s still a favourite haunt for those who enjoy the finer things in life.